Re: Versioning control in PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Versioning control in PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 07:04, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>>Actually it could be a nice feature if we could access them. For certain
>>applications, having entire database audited is like dream come true. Of
>>course it has to provide timestamps/transaction ids as well but in general
>>that would be pretty handy in some situation.
>>
>>Alas... that is toooo much fundamental to ask for a feature..:-)
>

> Really?  It seems like that one way to do it would be, at commit
> time, to write the "before version" to "somewhere else".

Well, the original version is stored. Problem is how to make it accessible?

Right now, there are only two types of rows. One updated by most recent
transaction and other is earlier version of same row. Now there could be n
tuples in second catagory.

Postgresql is grounds up designed to discard tuples in second category. It won't
be easy to modify each place so that it could either discard earlier versions or
use them in some sensible fashion.

  Shridhar