Re: How to use the SET data type? Help plz! - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: How to use the SET data type? Help plz!
Date
List pgadmin-support
> Odd that it is a selectable datatype in pgadmin then huh?

That's a question for the pgAdmin guys, but I know that PostgreSQL has a  type called 'set', which is nothing to do
withsets as you understand

them.

> If there are no sets, then is there anythign else that can be used to
> represent that type of data.  I used them a lot in a mySQL database that I am
> migrating from.  It is very useful to have a predefined set of values to
> choose from, otherwise it would just be a text field with no constraints as to
> the contents.  It is also nice to have the popup menus of the selecable values
> when inputing data like how phpmyadmin handles sets. It seem slike a huge
> oversight to not support them.

Look up CHECK constraints.

Lack of 'MySQL sets' in Postgres is NOT an oversight.  It's a random,
non-SQL standard type that the MySQL developers made up one day that no
other database on Earth supports.  Why should Postgres support it?  It's
just a lame workaround for MySQL not supporting constraints.

(Sorry to sound all worked up about it, but it's one of the things I
find annoying about MySQL...)

Chris