Re: Identifier max length - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: Identifier max length
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Birahim FALL wrote:
>

>>Hi, Certainly a stupid question : What is the max length for
>>identifiers.  A test shows me 63 for a table name.  I just
>>imagine it's the same for constraint name, view name etc ...
>>but I'm not sure.  Or where can I get this info, because it's
>>not in the Postgresl docs !  Thanks
>>

>Yep, all 63 limit.  Not sure where it is documented.

The lengths can be found in 7.3.2 manauls at: (kinda haphazard)
Tutorial - Section 1.3 pg 3
Reference - Section CREATE OPERATOR pg 2 of section
Reference - Section LISTEN pg 2 of section
Reference - Section NOTIFY pg 2 of section
Admin - Appendix A- Section 3.1 - pg 108
Admin - Appendix A- Section 3.3.5 - pg 111
User - Section 1.1.1 pg 2
User - Section 1.1.1 pg 5
User - Section 5.3 pg 58