Re: Recomended FS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Unihost Web Hosting
Subject Re: Recomended FS
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Ben,

You asked so here's my take on the subject, but I've gotta say that you can't go far wrong with reading Bruce Momjian's paper at:

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance/

But with that aside.

1. Unless your doing major league DB stuff, the FS should make more than marginal difference, if it's Journaled then it's good.  You can take all the time benchmarking that you want, just be sure your ROI is worth the time you invest.  My favourite fs is Reiser, but in the cold light of day, ext3 is supported in more places.  My first choice is Reiser, since I used it even when it was "unstable" on production servers and it never let me down.  I often use one or the other.

2.  Bruce's article really is good for this question, but in a nutshell you need to get as much of the DB as close to the CPU as possible.  As with any  serious application, you can't beat a good L1/L2 cache, then plenty of RAM/Memory ... DBs yum RAM, the more the merrier.  Lastly fast and wide disc access, remember disk access will be the slowest part of the system, and in an ideal world you'd fit nearly all of your DB in RAM if it was practical and safe.

You'd probably gain more from taking the time to really ensure that your DB is designed flawlessly, and all your indexes are where they're needed.  All of the basics come into play, but a well built RDBMS system is greater than the sum of its parts.

For further reading check out:

http://www.argudo.org/postgresql/soft-tuning.html

It all adds up!!.

Good Luck

Tony.

Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
Hi

I'm upgrading the DB sever hardware and also the Linux OS.

My Questions are:

1. What is the preferred FS to go with ? EXT3, Reiseref, JFS, XFS ? ( speed,
efficiency )
2. What is the most importent part in the Hardware ? fast HD, alot of mem,
or maybe strong cpu ?

Thanks in Advance

Canaan Surfing Ltd.
Internet Service Providers