Re: fix for strict-alias warnings - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: fix for strict-alias warnings
Date
List pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan writes:
>

>>And looking at it even closer, 2 of the 3 cases of calling MemSet appear
>>to be unnecessary, as the zeroed out values are immediately overwritten.
>>

>We need to zero out the holes in the structures so that hash functions
>work correctly.

I suspect we are both wrong :-) These structures aren't used in any
hashed structure that I can see, but the effect of the MemSet is to zero
out the it_interval value of the itimer, making sure the timer is a "one
shot" timer - so they are necessary after all, but for a different
reason (it's been a while since I used setitimer, and the man page is
less than a model of clarity).

cheers

andrew