Re: fix for strict-alias warnings - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: fix for strict-alias warnings
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:

>BTW, I haven't looked at the problem spots in detail.  How many of them
>are due to the use of MemSet in conjunction with other access to a chunk
>of memory?  ISTM that we need not worry about code motion around a
>MemSet call, since that would require the compiler to prove that the
>memset() path through the macro wouldn't be affected, which I doubt it
>would think.

there were 3 calls to MemSet it complained about - all in
src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c, and all zeroing out the timeval
structure. (is MemSet actually a gain in this instance?)

there was the very odd one in src/bin/psql/command.c, which seems to me
to be bogus

there were 3 in src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c and
src/backend/executor/execQual.c complaining about casting things to (Node *)

finally, there was a warning about incompatible pointer types (i.e. not
a type-pun warning) in the (uncast) call to shmdt in
src/backend/port/sysv_shmem.c

cheers

andrew