Re: Performance, vacuum and reclaiming space, fsm - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Performance, vacuum and reclaiming space, fsm
Date
List pgsql-performance
Seum-Lim Gan wrote:
> I have a table that keeps being updated and noticed
> that after a few days, the disk usage has growned to
> from just over 150 MB to like 2 GB !

Hmm... You have quite a lot of wasted space there..

> I followed the recommendations from the various search
> of the archives, changed the max_fsm_relations, pages,
> keep doing vacuum like every minute while the
> table of interest in being updated. I kept
> watching the disk space usage and still noticed that
> it continues to increase.

That will help if your table is in good shape. Otherwise it will have little
effect particularly after such amount of wasted space.

> Looks like vacuum has no effect.

Its not that.

> I did vacuum tablename and don't intend to use
> the full option since it locks the table.

You got to do that. simple vacuum keeps a running instance of server clean. But
once dead tuples spill to disk, nothing but vacumm full can reclaim that space.

And don't forget, you got to reindex the indexes as well.

Once your table is in good shape, you can tune max_fsm_* and vacuum once a
minute. That will keep it good..

> I have 7.3.3 running in Solaris 9.
>
> Any recommendation ?

  HTH