Re: Postgres 7.4 : ECPG not Thread-safe - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thierry Missimilly
Subject Re: Postgres 7.4 : ECPG not Thread-safe
Date
List pgsql-general

Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 04:42:18PM +0200, Thierry Missimilly wrote:
> > I don't know if it is really link to Postgres and ECPG but if you
> > modifiy pgbch.pgc in the way that the
> > transaction is limited to "BEGIN; END; ", it will never hang.
>
> Do you mean it only hangs if you do automatic transaction starting? I
> mean if you use PGSQL implicit transactions and explicit BEGIN...END
> blocks it works well, but if you let libecpg start the transaction and
> just do a COMMIT every once in a while it is not?

Well, i'm wrong.
A pgbch (pgbench) transcation limited to :
BEGIN;
END;
Will hang too (with the same gdb stack trace), but i need to increase the
number of client to see it.

But, when the doOne() function is just doing :
    for (j = 0; j < 1000000; j++) { }
pgbch never hang.
In that case, except doConnect() the lib ecpg is not used at all by the
threads.

> > Well, i'm not an expert in Linux multi-thread, but it seems the thread
>
> Neither am I, so I have no idea where to look.
>
> Michael
> --
> Michael Meskes
> Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De
> ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes@jabber.org
> Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire! Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

Attachment