Re: Table partitioning for maximum speed? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Luc Lachance
Subject Re: Table partitioning for maximum speed?
Date
List pgsql-general
BULL.

How many times does PG have to scan the whole table because of MVCC?
At least with partitioning there is a fighting chance that that won't be
necessary.
Queries that involve the field on which the table is partitioned execute
faster by an order of magnitude.
It also helps with vaccuming as PG can vaccum only one partition at a
time.
I have 17M row table where all records get frequently updated over a
year.
I would do my own partitioning with inheritance if it was not broken.
Partitioning would be a BIG plus in my book. So would visibility of
records but that is another fight.

JLL