Re: Compare rows - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Spiegelberg
Subject Re: Compare rows
Date
List pgsql-performance
Christopher Browne wrote:

> Wow, that takes me back to a paper I have been looking for for
> _years_.
>
> Some time in the late '80s, probably '88 or '89, there was a paper
> presented in Communications of the ACM that proposed using this sort
> of "hypernormalized" schema as a way of having _really_ narrow schemas
> that would be exceedingly expressive.  They illustrated an example of
> an address table that could hold full addresses with a schema with
> only about half a dozen columns, the idea being that you'd have
> several rows linked together.

I'd be interested in the title / author when you remember.
I'm kinda sick.  I like reading on most computer theory,
designs, algorithms, database implementations, etc.  Usually
how I get into trouble too with 642 column tables though. :)

--
Greg Spiegelberg
  Sr. Product Development Engineer