Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

  Here is the simple thing about MySQL licensing. It is GPL. If you
modify the mySQL source or you link a proprietary app to mySQL without
a commercial license. You must distrubute your changes and or
application as GPL or GPL compatibile.

  As far as speed is concerned: PostgreSQL is faster under
transactional/heavy loaded systems.
  MySQL is very fast for "Hey, I need to get a web page up that has some
basic dynamic data"

  MySQL is not ACID compliant, do not be fooled. The easiest argument is
this:

  If you have a 32 bit integer column, and you try to insert a 64 bit
number... logical thought would suggest that the database should
  throw an exception (which is a requirement of the 'C' in ACID) or fail
in some way. MySQL will not fail, instead it will insert a truncated
  value of the 64 bit number and thus screw all of your data in the future.

  There are others which I am sure MANY people can point out.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org