Re: [ANNOUNCE] pgAdmin III v1.0.0 Released - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Adam H. Pendleton
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] pgAdmin III v1.0.0 Released
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>1) Compile pgAdmin3 in non-unicode mode. In which case, pgAdmin3 port would be
>unable to display non-european languages and query PostgreSQL Unicode
>databases.
>
>2) Use the "iconv" library linked against wxWindows in order to bring a
>Unicode abstraction layer to wxWindows. Julian, I had this idea in my sleep,
>is this a workable solution?
>
>3) Wait for MacOsX 10.3 which should be Unicode compliant. We already
>discussed this opportunity, which does not fit our ideas because it would
>require MacOsX users to upgrade.
>
>4) Use donated proprietary compilers in order to compile pgAdmin3 under
>MacOsX. My opinion is not to use proprietary software, but other members in
>the team are not agains this idea. This needs to be dicussed.
>
>5) Compile pgAdmin as a fink package (http://www.fink.org). Maybe too
>complicated for MacOsX users.
>
>Could we discuss these opportunities? My opinion would be to go for 2), 1) and
>4) and 5) in order of preference. What is the opinion of other members and
>contributors?

I like this order as well (with one caveat), although I think that #5 is
unnecessary.  Whatever method we use for compiling pgAdmin3,
distribution will almost certainly be done as in binary form, so there
will be no need to involve fink, which AIUI, is largely for compiling
ported packages for Mac OS X.

My caveat to the above order is that item #3, assuming we have no
problem with the compiler, should be #1, since it offers us the
oppurtunity to have a Unicode pgAdmin3 on Mac OS X.  If there are
philosophical problems with #3, then let's compile a non-unicode
version, at least to get something to beta test.  There's a pretty good
chance that we're going to have bugs in the Mac version, since the last
time I had pgAdmin3 running on the Mac, it crashed on startup.

As soon as we decide which direction we want to go, I can contribute
however much time is neccessary to get the port to work.

ahp