Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)
Date
Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>)
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> You could just as easily argue that the lack of integrity testing at
> data load time was equally a bug.
>
> I think we need someway of telling postgres to suppress a foreign key
> check.
>
> The main problem is that the foreign key column is often not indexed.

So a db designer made a bloody mistake.
The problem is there's no easy way to find out what's missing.
I'd really like EXPLAIN to display all subsequent triggered queries
also, to see the full scans caused by missing indexes.

Regards,
Andreas