Re: libpq problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Greg Spiegelberg
Subject Re: libpq problem
Date
List pgsql-admin
Kris,

There are a variety of answers for a variety of operating systems.

On Linux add the PostgreSQL lib directory to /etc/ld.so.conf and run
"ldconfig" as root or add the lib directory to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable.  I prefer the 1st fix.

On Solaris 8 or later run as root "crle -u -l /path/to/pgsql/lib" which
is the same as the ldconfig option in Linux.  Alternatively, use the
same LD_LIBRARY_PATH solution as above which, by the way, this will
work in HP-UX and AIX though using different environment variables
LIBPATH and SHLIB_PATH, respectively.

Greg

Kris Kiger wrote:
> I have written a variation of one of the libpq C functions provided with
> postgres.  It compiles just fine, but when I try to execute the program
> it reports the following error:
>
> ./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.3: cannot open
>
> I have checked my system and the libpq.so.3 exists and all of its
> dependancies are linked.  Just curious if anyone has any ideas.  Thanks
>
> Kris

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Greg Spiegelberg
  Sr. Product Development Engineer