Re: cursors in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tomasz Myrta
Subject Re: cursors in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Releases before 7.4 are spotty about supporting backwards scan of
> complex queries --- if you have a join or aggregate in the query,
> it likely won't work, yielding either strange errors or wrong answers.
>
> It will work if the top plan node in the query is a SORT, though, so
> a possible workaround is to add an explicit ORDER BY to the cursor's
> query.  (You will need to do some investigation with EXPLAIN to make
> sure you are getting a suitable plan for the cursor.)
I rewrote my query to have sort in top of plan:
Sort  (cost=151.24..151.25 rows=1 width=36)   Sort Key: czas   ->  Aggregate  (cost=151.22..151.23 rows=1 width=36)
   ->  Group  (cost=151.22..151.23 rows=1 width=36)               ->  Sort  (cost=151.22..151.22 rows=1 width=36)

I'm not sure if it is what you were talking about, but it didn't help.

Anyway the best choice for this function would be a C function, but SPI
scares me...

And one more question - which syntax is valid?
move backward..
or
execute ''move backward...

> Or try 7.4 beta ...
Currently stable branches are better for me...

>             regards, tom lane
Regards,
Tomasz Myrta