Re: Sort order with spaces? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kristian Jörg
Subject Re: Sort order with spaces?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Jörg<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:krjg@devo.se"><krjg@devo.se></a> writes: </pre><blockquote
type="cite"><prewrap="">Unfortunately this does not seem to help! I dumped the database,

recreated the cluster with initdb with LC_COLLATE = C (and even tried
setting LC_CTYPE to C also), and restored the database. The same
You didn't do it right then ...

7.2's initdb is not helpful about telling you exactly what locale
settings it's using, but you could use the contrib/pg_controldata
utility to check what LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE settings got used.
(If you don't want to build pg_controldata, "strings
$PGDATA/global/pg_control" will do as a rough-and-ready substitute.) </pre></blockquote> Unfortunately I am using a
binarydistribution from a RPM package, so I don't have the source. Tried the strings stuff though and that worked. I
havesv_SE as locale for sure. So you are corect. I did not do initdb correctly. Shame on me... :-)<br /><blockquote
cite="mid1935.1063807618@sss.pgh.pa.us"type="cite"><pre wrap="">

Theoretically it should work to doexport LC_COLLATE=Cexport LC_CTYPE=Cinitdb
but if you have LANG or other LC_xxx values in your environment,
it's possible that there is some conflict.
        regards, tom lane</pre></blockquote> It is possible my locale settings did not get through to initdb since I
triedusing the startup postgres command in /etc/init.d (with som modifications of course). I will try again manually
wrap="">
.
| Kristian Jörg               | Phone: +46 54 153395         |
| Devo IT AB                  | Fax:   +46 54 153389         |
href="mailto:kristian.jorg@devo.se">mailto:kristian.jorg@devo.se</a>|