Re: Streaming binary data into db, difference between Blob - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Tenny
Subject Re: Streaming binary data into db, difference between Blob
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Fernando Nasser wrote:

> Dave Tenny wrote:
>
>> You could always implement your own logical blob manager that
>> implements blob IDs
>> and breaks blobs into BYTEA records of a particular (manageable)
>> maximum size and associates
>> multiple BYTEA chunks with the blob id.
>> More work, but a least common denominator approach that should be
>> portable to other systems as well.
>>

> However, bytea is _not_ streamed on 7.3 backends (unless the patch is
> used, which actually uses postgreSQL Large Objects as a staging area).
>
> That would be fine for 7.4 where bytea values will be streamed though.

I know nothing of how the backend works, but assuming it doesn't keep
ALL new BYTEA records in memory,
you get some effect of streaming a chunk at a time with this approach,
so you can control your upper bound
buffer size.