Re: About pgAdmin III - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: About pgAdmin III
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Le Lundi 8 Septembre 2003 00:12, vous avez écrit :
>

>>there is a problem fitting greek translations in the
>>dialogs. The same occurs with some other languages
>>too.
>>

>Dear Yannis,
>
>Your translation was publised. Thanks for your fast delivery.
>
>To answer your question from my point of view:
>
>- Dialogs we designed with English text, with approx. 30% more space left.

There are place where 0 % is left, because the developer didn't care.
Who was that sloppy guy?!? Oops, me...

> We ask translators to shorten their messages in order to fit in the given space.
>Sometimes it is difficult. We can only rely on the experience of translators
>to tell a dialog is large enough or not.

I had a brief look at the greek texts and didn't find it really
horrible. Most cases are where even the english text is quite long, e.g.
"source encoding" for conversions. This can easily be abbrevated to
"source enc." without sacrificing meaning too much. Somebody who doesn't
understand what "source enc." might mean in this context probably won't
understand the long form either and should hit F1 to learn about it.

We have a style guide for property dialogs, reserving 90 units for the
explanation (actual pixel count depends on OS), which should be enough.
I really wouldn't like to deviate from the style guide case by case, and
enlarging this would make most dialogs look strange.

>- Here and there, problems may arise. In the case of French, I had problems
>with the "Option" and "Export data to file" dialogs. These two dialogs
>probably need enlargement.

I had a look at these two.
I really was a bit too mean with space in the export dialog. I just
enlarged it by 60 units.

Option is a different story. There's an awful lot of text in it, trying
to explain verbosely what each option means, which finally can't
succeed. We grew this dialog already several times, its proportions are
becoming ugly.
I'd suggest all translators to do their best to express what's going on
in the limited space, if still unclear the user needs to hit F1. The Log
Level radiobox resizes itself, I shifted it 25 units to the left so it
can grow a bit more.

Regards,
Andreas