Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>>As with all performance tests/benchmarks, there are probably dozens or
>>>more reasons why these results aren't as accurate or wonderful as they
>>>should be.  Take them for what they are and hopefully everyone can
>>>learn a few things from them.
>>>
>>>Intelligent feedback is welcome.
>>>
>>>http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/postgresql.php
>>
>>I notice that the Linux FSs weren't tested with noatime.  Any
>>reason?
>
> My friend, (a FreeBSD committer), was wondering what the results are if you
> turn off softupdates (to match Linux default installation) and use noatime.

Keep an eye on the page.  The test results will be posted shortly after I
finish them.

Keep in mind, I'm more interested in figuring out what can be done to make
Postgres _faster_, so tests along that line are going to have a higher
priority than ones that specifically compare "apples to apples" or anything
like that.

> He also wonders how bug the default IO is?

Huh?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies