Re: Buglist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Buglist
Date
Re: Buglist  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Manfred Koizar wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:10:34 +0530, "Shridhar Daithankar"
> <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> wrote:
>>Point I am trying to make is to tune FSM and autovacuum frequency
>>such that you catch all the dead tuples in RAM
>
> You might be able to catch the pages with dead tuples in RAM, but
> currently there's no way to keep VACUUM from reading in all the clean
> pages, which can be far more ...

Which leads us to a zero gravity vacuum, that does the lazy vacuum for
pages currently available in the buffer cache only. And another pg_stat
column telling the number of tuples vacuumed so that an autovac has a
chance to avoid IO consuming vacuum runs for relations where 99% of the
dead tuples have been caught in memory.

Jan