Re: Simulating sequences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Simulating sequences
Date
List pgsql-general
Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Monday, Aug 18, 2003, at 09:01 US/Pacific, <btober@seaworthysys.com>
> wrote:
>
>> With those items in mind, your function could become:
>>
>> CREATE FUNCTION key_generation(integer, varchar(20)) RETURNS integer
>> AS'
>> DECLARE
>>   the_department ALIAS FOR $1;
>>   the_table_name ALIAS FOR $2;
>> BEGIN
>>   IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM cnfg_key_generation
>>     WHERE the_department = department AND the_table_name = table_name)
>> THEN
>>    INSERT INTO cnfg_key_generation VALUES
>> (the_department,the_table_name,0);
>>   END IF;
>
>     I would get the insert out of there, too.  If it doesn't exist, throw
> an exception.  I don't believe sequences should automatically create
> themselves (the tables and columns don't).

Not in PostgreSQL or any other serious database. But given that MySQL
tries hard to never error out and mangles over the input in an even
destructive way by concept, you might have a fair chance to get a
misspelled column name in an INSERT statement interpreted as implicit
ALTER TABLE ...

Jan