Re: Simulating sequences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Ramsey
Subject Re: Simulating sequences
Date
List pgsql-general
Vilson farias wrote:

> Does PostgreSQL sequences deal with these kinds performance questions? Is it
> clean, fast and secury to use sequences? Maybe I still can make up my boss
> mind about this subject if I get good arguments here to justify the use of
> sequences.

Sorry, but you just outlined a sequence replacement which is a big hunk
of PL/PgSQL! How is that not completely specific to PostgreSQL? The
PgSQL 'serial' type is close enough to other RDBMS autoincrement types
that porting to a different DB should be trivial. Porting your PL/PgSQL,
that will be hard (particularly if you decide to go to something like
MySQL, which doesn't even support procedural languages).

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey