Re: Need feedback on new feature (\for) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Lamb
Subject Re: Need feedback on new feature (\for)
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 02:04:03PM -0600, Scott Lamb wrote:
>
>>Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>>
>>>grant select on ":2" to ":1"
>>>\for select usename, relname from pg_catalog.pg_user, pg_catalog.pg_class
>>>where relname not like 'pg_%';
>>
>>That's definitely a useful thing to do, but I'm not sure I like your
>>syntax. As someone else mentioned, the ":2" is confusing; it's like a
>>bind variable, but isn't. And real bind variables don't work, as you are
>>substituting identifiers, not literals.
>>
>>You're not completely out in the cold doing something like this without
>>a patch. Right now, I believe you can do something like (in Oracle
>>PL/SQL-ish syntax; it's more familiar to me):
>

> Hmm, I didn't know you could execute pl/sql from the prompt like that.
> Still, I was looking for something that was short and easy to type. Not to
> mention something I can remember :)

You can in Oracle, so I can assume you can in PostgreSQL, too, but the
exact syntax escapes me.

I understand what you mean about short and easy to type. As far as
memory, I have to remember the other way anyway (at least in Oracle) for
  triggers in such.