Re: Dreamweaver - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timothy Brier
Subject Re: Dreamweaver
Date
List pgsql-general
Glen Eustace wrote:

>>>PHP has a shortcoming of NOT having a unified interface to "any" DB.
>
> MySQL
>
>>>uses one set of function calls, while PgSQL another. Yes, of course
>
> they
>
>>>could add support for another (very popular) DB. But I'd rather feel
>
> out
>
>>>their support for JSP/JDBC, which should be in :-)
>>
>>Sounds like PHP needs something similar to DBD for Perl.
>

> It actually does. The PEAR DB Support stuff isn't too bad.  I have used
> it several times when I wasn't sure which database was going to be used.
>
> I suppose in addition to asking my question, was the unasked one. If
> PostgreSQL is to gain broader appeal, then developers like Macromedia
> need to be conviced to either make their products 'database neutral' by
> providing a generic hook or providing more than one of the popular
> alternatives.  As it is, there are a bunch of web designers using DW
> that go straight for a PHP+MySQL solution because that is what DW
> supports :-( PostgreSQL doesn't even get a look in.
>
> Glen
Dreamweaver can interface with various DBs using PEAR, ADOdb, dbx functions.

I do most of my development using dreamweaver and the free extenstion -
   to dreamweaver - PHAkt - from  interakt
http://www.interakt.ro/products/PHAkt/index.php

It supports multiple databases including my favorite - PostgreSQL -
using ADOdb.

Tim.