Re: Sorting Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: Sorting Problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Dennis Björklund wrote:

> In the future we need indexes that depend on the locale (and a lot of other changes).

I agree. I've been looking at the web on this subject a lot lately. I am **NOT** a microslop fan, but SQL-SERVER even
letsa user define a language(maybe encoding) down to the column level!

I've been reading on GNU-C and on languages, encoding, and localization.

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/hotlist/free/licence/fsf96/drepper/paper-1.html
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSingleTipDetailPage_IDX/1,2366,1222,00.html

There are three basic approaches to doing different langauges in computerized text:

    A/ various adaptations of the 8 bit character set, I.E. the ISO-8859-x series.
        One byte per character.
        Easy storing, small size for a string.
        Easy storing, if english characters, 100% efficient use of storage space.
        Easy processing between applications, works well in the stream model of *nix
        Easy processing in applications, a byte is a character.
        Easy string handling, NOY NULL bytes in a string, except end of string.
        NOT easy to know encoding from inherently in the document.
        This is not the way of the future.

    B/ wide characters
        UTF16, UTF32, SHIFT-JIS-16, others
        each character the same width, 2 or 4 bytes (2 bytes handles 99% of all languages)
        Not so easy storing, if english characters, 50% to 75% loss of storage space.
        Difficult processing between applications, does NOT work well in the stream model of *nix
        Easy processing in applications, a set width of bits/bytes is a character.
        Difficult string handling, MANY NULL bytes in a string, especially if in English.
        Moderately easy to tell encoding/language in the document.
    ********This should be how Postgress stores data internally.********

    C/ Multibyte characters
        UTF8
        variable width for different characters 1-5
        Not so easy storing, if non english characters, 50% to 80% loss of storage space,
            (in reality,                 most common western languages hover aournd 5-20% loss of storage space
                most common non western languages hover aournd 40-60%% loss of storage space)
        Easy processing between applications, works well in the stream model of *nix
        Difficult processing in applications, a variable number of bytes is a character.
        Easy string string handling, ONE NULL byte in a string.
        Moderately easy to tell encoding/language in the document.
    ********This is how Postgress should default to sending data OUT of the application,
            i.e. to the display or the web, or other system applications********