Re: How to speeed up the query performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: How to speeed up the query performance
Date
List pgsql-sql

> How do I speed up the quey performance if I've a query like this :
> Does 'not in' command will affected the performance?.
Yes, it's well known to be slow in 7.3 and lower, should be fixed in 7.4
AFAIK.

> select

ts.transportid,ts.transporttype,ts.transportcapacity,ts.transportstatus,ts.routecoverage,ts.transportregnumber

> from       transportsetup ts
> where     ts.bizid = 'B126'
> and         ts.deletestatus = 0
> and         ts.transportid not in (    select t.transportid
>                                                   from transportsetup
t,servicedetail s,logisticservice l
>                                                   where
t.bizid=l.bizid
>                                                       and
l.serviceid=s.serviceid
>                                                       and
t.transportid=s.transportid
>                                                       and t.bizid =
'B126'
>                                                       and
l.status='Pending'
>                                                   or t.bizid=l.bizid
>                                                       and
l.serviceid=s.serviceid
>                                                       and
t.transportid=s.transportid
>                                                       and t.bizid =
'B126' and l.status='Reserved' )
> order by ts.transporttype;

As recently mentioned by Stephan Szabo on '[SQL] How to optimize this
query ?'
NOT EXISTS performs much better.

Try:
select
ts.transportid,ts.transporttype,ts.transportcapacity,ts.transportstatus,ts.routecoverage,ts.transportregnumber

from    transportsetup ts
where   ts.bizid = 'B126'
and     ts.deletestatus = 0
and     NOT EXISTS (    select t.transportid       from transportsetup t,servicedetail s,logisticservice l       where
ts.transportid= t.transportid           and t.bizid=l.bizid           and l.serviceid=s.serviceid           and
t.transportid=s.transportid          and t.bizid = 'B126'           and l.status='Pending'       or t.bizid=l.bizid
     and l.serviceid=s.serviceid           and t.transportid=s.transportid           and t.bizid = 'B126' and
l.status='Reserved')

order by ts.transporttype;

Regards, Christoph