Re: PostgreSQL performance problem -> tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: PostgreSQL performance problem -> tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 7 Aug 2003 at 10:05, Yaroslav Mazurak wrote:
> > It needs to reflect how much cache the system is using - try the "free"
> > command to see figures.
>
>     I'm not found "free" utility on FreeBSD 4.7. :(

<rant>
Grr.. I don't like freeBSD for it's top output.Active/inactive/Wired.. Grr..
why can't it be shared buffered and cached? Same goes for HP-UX top. Looking at
it one gets hardly any real information.. Anyway that's just me..
</rant>

 Top on freeBSD seems pretty unintuituive em but if you find any documentation
on that, that would help you. ( Haven't booted in freeBSD in ages so no data
out of my head..)

You can try various sysctls on freeBSD. Basicalyl idea is to find out how much
of memory is used and how much is cached. FreeBSD must be providing that one in
some form..

IIRC there is a limit on filesystem cache on freeBSD. 300MB by default. If that
is the case, you might have to raise it to make effective_cache_size really
effective..

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Another war ... must it always be so?  How many comrades have we lostin this
way? ...  Obedience.  Duty.  Death, and more death ...        -- Romulan Commander,