Re: length of recordset read through a cursor - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: length of recordset read through a cursor
Date
List pgsql-sql

> After declaring a cursor, one way of obtaining the length of the
resultset
> is to perform a "MOVE 0" and read the PQcmdStatus which returns a
"MOVE nn"
> where nn is the length of the resultset. (A negative MOVE can then be
used
> to allow starting to fetch records from the beginning of the
resultset.)

> Is there another, possibly faster way?

Looks like you're using libpq (because you mention PQcmdStatus),
then after declaring a cursor and FETCH ALL, try

1.3.4. Retrieving SELECT Result Information
   PQntuples Returns the number of tuples (rows) in the query result.
   int PQntuples(const PGresult *res);

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve or going to do,
so if I misunderstood you, ask again.

Regards, Christoph