Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From DeJuan Jackson
Subject Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)
Date
List pgsql-general
scott.marlowe wrote:
Ahhh.  OK.  Yeah, when I first started writing stuff in it and figured out
the cgi version worked fine as a scripting language I was so happy.  Due
to its http heritage, you have to run it with a -q switch to tell it to
not add headers to its output.

It can even do asyn stream handling, but I haven't played with that much.

This is off topic but...

Newer versions (4.3.*) of PHP compile a command line (php-cli) instance.
You no longer have to do two compiles when building the apache module.
Some features of which (from http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php):
  • Unlike the CGI SAPI, no headers are written to the output.

    Though the CGI SAPI provides a way to suppress HTTP headers, there's no equivalent switch to enable them in the CLI SAPI.

    CLI is started up in quiet mode by default, though the -q switch is kept for compatibility so that you can use older CGI scripts.

    It does not change the working directory to that of the script. (-C switch kept for compatibility)

    Plain text error messages (no HTML formatting).

  • There are certain php.ini directives which are overriden by the CLI SAPI because they do not make sense in shell environments

  • ...
And yes the stream handling is very nice and will be even better when 5.0.0 hits the release stage, not to mention the class implementation improvements.