Re: Why select * from function doesn't work when function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Subject Re: Why select * from function doesn't work when function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Francisco Figueiredo Jr." <fxjrlists@yahoo.com.br> writes:
>
>>I just wanted void functions behave like others when called as select *
>>from voidfunction  So I dont have to do select voidfunction. :)
>

> It's not only void functions that fail --- I believe the code will
> reject any pseudo-type, which includes several things:
>
> regression=# select typname from pg_type where typtype = 'p';
>      typname
> ------------------
>  record
>  cstring
>  any
>  anyarray
>  void
>  trigger
>  language_handler
>  internal
>  opaque
>  anyelement
> (10 rows)
>
> regression=#
>
> Some of these might be safe to allow, but some clearly are not.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Ohhh, I thought there was only the void type which had this behaviour. :)

So, I will have to use the select voidfunction();

Thanks Tom Lane.

--
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

------
"My grandfather once told me that there are two
kinds of people: those
who work and those who take the credit. He told me
to try to be in the
- Indira Gandhi