Re: Problem using Subselect results - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dmitry Tkach
Subject Re: Problem using Subselect results
Date
List pgsql-sql

oheinz@stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de wrote:

>Quoting Dmitry Tkach <dmitry@openratings.com>:
>

>>What about:
>>
>>CREATE VIEW my_view AS SELECT b,c from
>>(SELECT a, b FROM table1 WHERE b=1) as my_ab,
>>(SELECT a, c FROM table2) as my_ac WHERE my_ac.a=my_ab.a
>>
>>This looks like what you are trying to do, and doesn't use that
>>'subsubselect' you were trying to avoid...
>>

>I assume that with this statement postgresql will compute both subselects, do
>a cross join on both results an then reduce them to those who match the
>condition my_ac.a=my_ab.a, right?

I don't think so... Not totally sure, but I believe, that, at least in
this case, the query plan will be equivalent to a join...

>What I was trying to do is reduce the results to a minimum before joining them.
>It's not only two or three tables and some of them will grow big, so joining
>them first and reducing them later may not be such a good idea.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by 'reducing'.
It seems to me that you could make your query a lot simpler by
converting it into a join, and I don't see anything you are buying by
those subselects....

Also, you may want to get rid of max(), and replace those things with
'select column from table order by column desc limit 1'. This should be
a lot quicker (provided that you have an index on that column).

Dima