Re: optimum postgres server configuration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Yu
Subject Re: optimum postgres server configuration
Date
List pgsql-general
| We're about to buy a new server for dedicated Postgres serving. It'll
| be serving 4 - 10 databases (average dump size 20Gb) for various web
| applications. What is the list's advice on optimum configuration of
| hardware and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US
| 2000)? In particular, should we prioritise

Unfortunately, hardware sizing for databases is very much
trial-and-error. How many users, type of queries, percentage of updates,
transactions per period -- throw that all together you and you still
have a wild-ass guess.

But since you have a budget of $2000, that limits your choices so
there's no point in going over stuff you can't get. Let's start with the
following:

- Case/Floppy/CD-ROM/PS: $200
- Athlon 760MPX: $200
- 2x Athlon MP2400+: $300
- 3GB RAM: $500

That leaves you $800 for storage. You definitely need to go SCSI without
question. The question is whether to get a card with more channels or
more disks on less channels. My personal experience is that the
bandwidth of the HBAs are outpacing the hard drives.

- Adaptec 29320-R (single channel U320 w/ RAID0,1) $200
- 4x 10K RPM 73GB HD $600

If you want hotswap, you can get 4/5-drive hotswap cages in the ~$200 range.

Almost hits your pricing target perfectly.