Re: Why select * from function doesn't work when function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Subject Re: Why select * from function doesn't work when function
Date
Re: Why select * from function doesn't work when function  ("Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk>)
List pgsql-hackers
Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:
>

>>>How's this for an alternative if you really don't want any rows returned:
>>>
>>>create function fincF ( )  returns setof integer as '
>>> begin
>>>   delete from blah;
>>>   return;
>>> end;
>>>' language 'plpgsql';
>>>

>>This works, but what I really want is not to return any rows. I mean,
>>the problem is not return null, but the error I get if I select * from
>>voidfunction.
>>
>>I just wanted void functions behave like others when called as select *
>>from voidfunction  So I dont have to do select voidfunction. :)
>

> But that last does exactly that. Doesn't even return a null. Give it a quick
> go, skip the delete statement obviously, and see. You'll get something like:
>
>    ?
> -------
>
> (0 rows)

Uhmmm, I think I didn't make myself clear. What I mean by void function
wasn't a function which just doesn't return anything. What I meant is a
function created like this:

create function voidfunction returns *void* as [...]

The problem to me is the void in the returns ;)

If you create a function with the returns void above you'll see that if
you do select * from voidfunction it gives you the error I said. But it
works with select voidfunction.

I just wanted it to work with select * from voidfunction too. :)

Thanks Nigel.

--
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

------
"My grandfather once told me that there are two
kinds of people: those
who work and those who take the credit. He told me
to try to be in the
- Indira Gandhi