Re: IN clauses via setObject(Collection) [Was: Re: Prepare - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Fernando Nasser
Subject Re: IN clauses via setObject(Collection) [Was: Re: Prepare
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Just for reference, neither DB2 nor Oracle support passing the full list of
values as a single '?' parameter.  In both cases you have to specify several ?
parameters (or :host variables) for each of the expected values.

Although I find this an annoying limitation, the fact remains that no
significant DBMS does what is being asked here.

PostgreSQL currently does not even accept '?' in the list.  I have asked about
the possibility to support something in there.  But even if the backend decides
to accept the full list it would be a PostgreSQL-only feature/enhancement and
not portable.

I feel very comfortable implementing standards but not at extending them.  If
one day the standard body decides to implement it in a way different from the
way you did you end up with backward compatibility problems.  Not to mention
that you end up tricking people into using some non-standard exception and
preventing them to use another DBMS.  Although I see no reason to use anything
but PostgreSQL, this looks somewhat like M$ tactics ;-)

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com