Relation of indices to ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Relation of indices to ANALYZE
Date
Re: Relation of indices to ANALYZE  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
Hello all,

I'm putting together a database that has me wondering about the interaction of ANALYZE
with indices.  I guess the basic question is: are indices affected by the results of
ANALYZE.

The particular application I've got is doing a batch insert of lots of records.  For
performance, I'm dropping the indexes on the table, doing the inserts, then recreating
the indexes a then doing a VACUUM ANALYZE.  Specifically, I'm wondering if I should do
the ANALYZE before or after I recreate the indexes, or whether it matters.

Any feedbackis welcome.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies