Re: Receiving data in binary format how is it encoded? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Carlos Guzman Alvarez
Subject Re: Receiving data in binary format how is it encoded?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello:

> while implementing the protocol 3.0 I could get the data in text mode
> setting the format to 0. (Thanks all for helping me out with flush message)
>

> Now, I want to test the binary format. While some primitive types are
> easy to realize, for example a int4 field will be encoded in 4 bytes,
> I don't know how other types, like date, time, timestamp, text will be
> encoded in binary format.

Huummmmm i'm going to comment how i make in my C# implementation (stream
is a binary reader ) for example for int4, date and time.

For int4:

int val = stream.ReadInt32();
int int4Value = IPAddress.HostToNetworkOrder(val);

For date ( not sure if i'm making this correct way but values seems to
be correct :) )

DateTime base = new DateTime(2000, 1, 1)
int val = stream.ReadInt32();
int days = IPAddress.HostToNetworkOrder(val);

DateTime date = base.AddDays(days);

For Time:

The same as for date but reading a double and adding it to base as
seconds instead of days.

The only basic data type i'm not handling now is numeric that seems to
be encoded in 10 bytes but i have no seen the postgre source code yet.

--
Best regards

Carlos Guzmán Álvarez
Vigo-Spain

P.S.: Has you receive an email i sent to you abot little things i see on
npgsql ?? :)