Re: Extreme high load averages - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Martin Foster
Subject Re: Extreme high load averages
Date
List pgsql-performance
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2003 at 22:54, Martin Foster wrote:
>
>>What I would like to know is.   Why?   The kernel has been compiled to
>>handle the number of concurrent connections, the server may not be the
>>best, but it should be able to handle the requests: PIII 1Ghz, 1GB
>>SDRAM, 2 IDE 20GB drives.
>>
>>I have changed settings to take advantage of the memory.  So the
>>following settings are of interest:
>>    shared_buffers = 16384
>>    wal_buffers = 256
>>    sort_mem = 16384
>>    vacuum_mem = 32768
>

> As somebody else has already pointed out, your sort_mem is bit too high
> than required. Try lowering it.
>
> Secondly did you tune effective_cache_size?
>
> HTH
> Bye
>  Shridhar
>
> --
> Power, n.:    The only narcotic regulated by the SEC instead of the FDA.

I dropped the size of the sort_mem down to 8 megs.   Since I am not
swapping to cache at all this should not post much of a problem at that
value.

effective_cache_size seems interesting, though the description is
somewhat lacking.  Is this related to the swap partition and how much of
it will be used by PostgreSQL?   If I am correct, this should be fairly low?
    Martin Foster
    Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms
    martin@ethereal-realms.org