Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.
Date
List pgsql-general
Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

> On Saturday 28 Jun 2003 8:50 pm, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
>> > Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > Shudnt'  messages like
>> >
>> > ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(5)
>>
>> Maybe, yes. It's just not that trivial to do.
>>
>> > MySQL is better in these small things.
>> >
>> > I think in 7.4dev fkey violation are reported better,
>> > cant such behaviours be extened to other kind of
>> > exceptions?
>>
>> We are working on it.
>

>>But pointing to MySQL doesn't help a bit. If you
>> like MySQL better, then use MySQL instead
>
> I am not a MySQL fan. I have been been using PostgreSQL since
> 7.0.3 version. Posting it here becoz its a public forum and u made
> an attempt to paint me worng here ;-)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, it wasn't meant as an attempt to paint
anything. You are very welcome to help us improving PostgreSQL.

But if you're not, why do you mention MySQL at all this way then? What
was the exact purpose for including this statement?

Jan