Fields float4 don't return any row when selecting a value with a . - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Subject Fields float4 don't return any row when selecting a value with a .
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hi all,
I'm using the 7.4 cvs version on cygwin and I noticed that if I have a
table with a field of float4 type and try to do a simple select:
select * from table where field_float4 = 4.4

it doesn't return any rows.
In the same table I have a float8 field and it works ok.

If I try with a value without the . in the float4 field it also works.

The only way I could get the field_float4 to work was to add '' in the
value.

Summary of results:
Table created as: create table tableD(field_float4 float4, field_float8
float8);

insert into tableD values (3.3, 4.4);
insert into tableD values (4, 3);

select * from tableD where field_float4 = 3.3 ==> 0 rows returned
select * from tableD where field_float8 = 4.4 --> 1 row returned.
select * from tableD where field_float4 = '3.3' ==> 1 row returned.

Can someone confirm that for me?
Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

------
"My grandfather once told me that there are two
kinds of people: those
who work and those who take the credit. He told me
to try to be in the
- Indira Gandhi