Re: LAST_INSERT_ID equivalent - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ericson Smith
Subject Re: LAST_INSERT_ID equivalent
Date
List pgsql-general
While many others use currval(), we tend to grab the next ID provided by
nextval('seq') and use that to be inserted with the record. The process
is very atomic, and the ID is available to be used by the rest of your
program. The only drawback is if your insert query fails there will be a
hole in the sequence.

- Ericson Smith