Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Dave,

Are we able to get more messages added to the list of mailing list end tags, so we
can mention something about server tuning or such?

The rest of these things will probably have to be done in the PG source code itself.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Dennis Gearon wrote:
> How about adding the mesage about tuning to the:
>
> 1/ 'don't kill the postmaster message at the bottom of emails'
> 2/ The install messages.
> 3/ The build messages.
> 4/ The login screen for the superuser of the databse?
>
> Justin Clift wrote:
>
>>Joseph Shraibman wrote:

>>>Perhaps that should be in the message that 'make install' echoes and in
>>>comments in the conf file itself?
>>>

>>Probably it's a good idea to have some mention of this, as even though we should alter the source to higher defaults
forour next release, there are potentially
>>people that would read a message like this and go "wow, didn't know that", then tune their existing installations as
well.

>>With Solaris, 4000 for those memory settings is a good place to start and it's generally fine to just leave them at
thatunless there's a definite reason for
>>performance tuning.  No idea with other OS's.
>>
>>Anyone feel like submitting a patch to alter the default settings to a higher mark?  Don't think it's been done yet,
andit'd be a shame to forget it before