Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date
Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user  (Steve Lane <slane@moyergroup.com>)
Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user  (Joseph Shraibman <jks@selectacast.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi Jay,

 From his comments about PostgreSQL's performance, I'd extremely
strongly suspect he has only tested it with untuned (default) memory
settings.  The default memory settings in all of the previous releases
of PostgreSQL have been extremely conservative to maintain the widest
compatibility.  However, they _significantly_ reduce the throughput and
transaction speed of PostgreSQL.

The _very first_ thing to do with any PostgreSQL installation is bump up
the memory settings (at least "sort_mem" and "shared_buffers") in the
postgresql.conf and restart it.

Tell him to test it with decent settings (try about 4000 for each as an
initial start), and he'll find that a decently tuned PostgreSQL matches
the speed of a MySQL installation with any table type.  An in
write-intensive applications, the MySQL server will always fall behind.
  _Especially_ as the number of simultaneous clients rises.  MySQL falls
behind, as does Oracle 8i a bit further on (not sure about 9i and 9iR2),
and PostgreSQL keeps on performing at pretty much the same throughput
for far higher numbers of client connections.

And _that_, is for real.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift