Re: Which database? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ewald Geschwinde
Subject Re: Which database?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Kaarel wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am fairly new to databases, but my boss has assigned me to choose a
> database system for our company. I know of Oracle databases but they
> are way too expensive so it's not an option for us. I did some
> research and came up with two free database systems that seemed to be
> more popular - MySQL and PostgreSQL. The problem is that I can't make
> a decision between the two because I have practically no experience.
> Some say MySQL is easier to use, some say PostgreSQL is more robust
> etc. Most articles seem to celarly favor one or the other. It is very
> hard to find an objective comparison. And I have to explain my boss
> why I chose either one. So perhaps some of you can give me some
> reasons why to choose MySQL over Postgre.
>
> Thanks,
> Kaarel
> kaarel@future.ee

Depends on your needs
Mysql for smaller things.

Postgresql for bigger projects.
Stored procedures, triggers.
Can handle big amounts of data (1 Billion I have seen ).
It's more ansi compliant than mysql.

The conclusion is: if you have a small non critical applikation that
have only selects you better go with mysql.
But if the thing will get bigger you will get to it's limits.

This problem you don't have with postgresql

Regards Ewald Geschwinde