Re: FW: [ADMIN] Shared_buffers and kernel parameters, tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: FW: [ADMIN] Shared_buffers and kernel parameters, tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 9 Jun 2003 at 11:18, Howard Oblowitz wrote:
> > in postgresql.conf:
> >
> > shared_buffers = 117248 (shmmax / 2 / 1024 / 8 ) This I got from this
> > forum.
> >

> > Does this sound right or am I totally out of bounds here? I have, as said
> > before done this on our dev macine ( a lot smaller machine ), but it would
> > be nice with some feedback ..

With that kind of RAM and that kind of shared buffers setting, you must set
effective OS cache size so that postgresql can calculate when to flush buffers.

While tuning database, it always help to pin down the target first and then try
to reach it. If you could let us know what performance you are expecting out of
this machine and for what kind of load in terms of concurrent users, database
size and usage pattern etc., that would help.

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--