Re: Gettext support for pgAdmin3 and the web site - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Gettext support for pgAdmin3 and the web site
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Hi Andreas,
>
>Just for information, do you think it would be difficult to add Gettext
>support to pgAdmin3? We could run an extract script on Snake and publish the
>.po files for translation everyday. I can handle po files merges for the team
>if you need someone.

It's not difficult, just going through the sources. gettext is supported
by wxWindows, so we should go ahead. I wonder if the wxrc lib already is
gettext aware. If not, after loading the resource it would be necessary
to loop through all controls and push them into the translator; not too
dificult either.

I don't think it's a good idea just to analyze the binary in total;
there are way too many non-translatable strings in it.

So there are these steps to perform:
- initialize gettext
- replace all translatable wxT() with _() in the sources
- push all *.xrc into the string extractor
- adding the gettext processing to Makefile
- adding the gettext processing to VC project.

I'll start this; as long as gettext isn't active, the _() macro can be
redefined as wxT().

I've seen that wxGetTranslation(), the gettext equivalent of wxWindows,
will use and return char*, not wxChar*. I wonder if this will give
problems if we are switching to unicode.

Regards,

Andreas