Re: Using UPPER and TRIM (INDEX usage) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: Using UPPER and TRIM (INDEX usage)
Date
List pgsql-sql
>> How do I use "TRIM" and "UPPER" both in the SQL statement and still
use the index.>> I created an index on myTable in the following way>> CREATE INDEX index_fname_myTable ON myTable USING
btree(upper(fname));>> Now  the SQL I used was>>> SELECT * FROM myTable where upper(trim(fname))= 'JOHN':: character

varying>> The postgresql doesnt use the index on fname in the above case.>> But if I use only "UPPER" in the SQL
statement,the postgresql uses

the index.> For eg. SELECT * FROM myTable where upper(fname)= 'JOHN':: character
varying

And what happens if you re-write it as

SELECT * FROM myTable where trim(upper(fname))= 'JOHN':: character varying

Alternatively try
CREATE FUNCTION uppertrim (character varying) returns character varying as '
select upper(trim($1));
' LANGUAGE SQL IMMUTABLE ;
and then
CREATE INDEX index_fname2_myTable ON myTable USING btree (uppertrim(fname));

Regards, Christoph