Re: libpq program SELECT FOR UPDATE and TIMEOUT or CANCEL REQUEST - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: libpq program SELECT FOR UPDATE and TIMEOUT or CANCEL REQUEST
Date
List pgsql-sql

> I am programming using libpq under Linux.
>
> When I do a "select ... for update" to lock a row, how=20
> would I allow user to cancel or timeout when requesting the
> the same row from another program/transaction.
>
> I do not want the user to have to wait for the update on the=20
> other end. I would rather send the user an error message
> saying that the record is LOCKED -- try again later.
>
> If you could send me an example that would be great!

There was a strongly related discussion on the pgsql-sql list in
February 2003. Search the archives for threads
"Lock timeout detection"
"Can pessimistic locking be emulated?"
If you're having trouble to find those, contact me again.
I recorded the major important stuff - at least I think.
Regards, Christoph