Re: Functions that return Record Sets - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Functions that return Record Sets
Date
List pgsql-sql
Benjamin Stewart wrote:
> Sorry if this question has been posted before, but I searched the
> archives and documentation and was unable to find ther elevant
> information or any other developers with first hand experience at this.

See:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/SetReturningFunctions
http://www.brasileiro.net:8080/postgres/cookbook/view-one-recipe.adp?recipe_id=11378

There are plpgsql and sql function examples in the mailing list
archives. Couple of examples:  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-10/msg00022.php
and  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-12/msg00426.php

There is a recent example in Elein Mustain's "General Bits" column:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-12/msg00426.php

And finally, in the manual see:
general ->
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/xfunc-tablefunctions.html
sql ->
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/xfunc-sql.html (sec 9.2.4)
C ->
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/xfunc-c.html (sec 9.5.6)
plpgsql ->
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plpgsql-control-structures.html
usage ->
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-select.html
(from_item, inputs, from clause, usage)

> I have worked previously with sybase and we have the ability to create a
> stored procedure (different from a user defined function) that returns a
> record set that is passed back as and I can use as a standard RS and
> itterate throught it etc. I am also able to get meta data about field
> names, type etc from the RS.

Sybase/MSSQL style stored procedures are not currently supported. There
isn't even general agreement amongst the developers that they should be.
Personally, I'd like to see them supported and may one day make a
proposal and (assuming it is accepted) add them to Postgres. But don't
hold your breath -- it certainly won't happen before 7.4 is released.

Joe