ENCODING (Unicode) - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject ENCODING (Unicode)
Date
List pgadmin-support
To my surprise i recently found out that there is no difference in what encoding a database or even initdb has.
I could insert and retrieve Unicode and extended ASCII with a Java program, and everything is good. However, when the
valuesare displayed by pgadmin or a cygwin shell, both extended ASCII and Unicode characters are shown as a sequence of
2characters, and those don't correspond to the bits one would expect to have if 2 byte-characer were split into 2
1-byte (8-bit) characters. The best explanation i could come up with is that pgAdminII is not supporting Unicode
encodings,and the shell obviously also does not. This is not surprising, because most of pre-Java, pre-.NET apps were
andare like that, although Windows has the notions of wchar...
If i'm right, i wonder if Unicode is expected to be supported sometimes in the future. And in general all feedback is
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.

Attachment