Installation Consensus - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Adam H. Pendleton
Subject Installation Consensus
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Before I release the latest version of the Autoconf code, I need to know
how to handle the automatically-generated installation target.  My
suggestion, and the way things are coded now, is to install things this
way ($package = "pgadmin3"):

pgadmin3 -> $(prefix)/bin
ui/commin/*.xrc -> $(datadir)/$(package)/ui/common
tips.txt -> $(datadir)/$(package)

By default, configure sets:

$(prefix) -> /usr/local
$(datadir) -> $(prefix)/share

This can be overriden by using "./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/pgadmin3" so then you get:

pgadmin3 -> /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin
ui/common/*.xrc -> /usr/local/pgadmin3/share/pgadmin3/ui/common
tips.txt -> /usr/local/pgadmin3/share/pgadmin3/

It seems to me that if we're going to use Autoconf, then it's best to
stay within the framework of the existing Autoconf installation
directory structure, so that "./configure" behaves the way a normal
autoconf user would expect (much like changing --with-libpq to
--with-pgsql).

What does everyone think?

ahp